WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files
WinRAR - What's new in the latest version
1. Archive names in rar.log error log file always include
the full path.
2. WinRAR tray icon is compatible with high DPI display modes.
3. If you modified a file in archive with encrypted names using an
external editor, WinRAR will not ask for archive password again
when prompting to update a file. It will use a password which you
entered when opening an archive,
4. Bugs fixed:
a) switch -tl and "Set archive time to latest file time" option
could fail in previous version. Sometimes they set archive time to
current system time instead of latest file time;
b) if -ag switch mask contained archive number, month and minute
characters, WinRAR placed 'I' character instead of minute value
into generated archive name for archive numbers exceeding 1;
c) high ASCII names in ISO files using ISO 9660 format without
Joliet format extension were displayed incorrectly;
d) WinRAR could crash when decompressing some of corrupt RAR
e) if "Turn PC off when done" option was set in "Convert archives"
command, WinRAR turned PC off after converting the first archive in
selected group instead of after converting the entire group;
f) if user specified a non-existent destination path in SFX archive
in Vista, SFX could enter into infinite "create new SFX window"
g) WinRAR could fail to unpack an individual file from subfolder of
ACE archive using the drag and drop.
1. Numerous Windows Vista compatibility changes:
a) help format changed from old HLP to newer HTML based CHM;
b) GUI self-extracting modules attempt to request for
administrator permissions if they cannot create destination
folder under current user account;
c) Log file rar.log and WinRAR theme files are stored in
%APPDATA%\WinRAR folder instead of WinRAR program files folder.
Exported settings file settings.reg is also stored in
%APPDATA%\WinRAR folder by default, but it is possible to select
another folder in "Save WinRAR settings" and "Load WinRAR settings"
WinRAR searches for registration key and settings.reg both in its
program files folder and in %APPDATA%\WinRAR; It is possible to set
the string value "AppData" in Registry key
to override the default %appdata%\WinRAR path for WinRAR settings.
For example, if you wish to store theme files in WinRAR folder, set
this value to "c:\Program Files\WinRAR".
d) Vista compatibility changes in WinRAR shell integration;
e) New "Request administrative access" option in "Advanced" page of
"Advanced SFX options" allows to create SFX archive, which will
request the administrative access when started in Windows Vista.
Command line equivalent of this option is -iadm switch.
2. Added support for ISO 13346 (UDF) file format. This format
is frequently used in ISO images of DVD disks.
3. Added Unicode support for ISO 9660 files, so WinRAR should
handle non-English file names in .iso files better.
4. Design changes in window displaying archiving and extraction
a) it provides more space for file names, allowing lengthy names;
b) it displays the current archive name in separate line,
allowing much longer archive names than before;
c) when archiving, it displays the current compression ratio
in separate line;
d) it can use both standard Windows and classic WinRAR progress
bars. Turn on "Windows progress bars" option in WinRAR
"Settings/General" dialog to use standard progress bars. By default
this option is on if some Windows visual style is active and off if
Windows Classic theme is selected. Windows progress bars are two
color only, so they do not indicate the current compression ratio.
But now the ratio is displayed in separate line;
de..." button moved to bottom of window.
5. GUI self-extracting modules support following command line
-d<path> set the destination path
-p<pwd> specify a password
-s silent mode, hide all
-s1 same as -s
-s2 silent mode, hide start dialog
-sp<par> specify parameters for setup program
6. GUI self-extracting modules do not pass the entire command line to
setup program like they did in previous versions. If you need to
get access to entire command line of SFX archive, parse sfxcmd
environment variable which contains this command line.
7. New switch -sc<charset>[objects] allowing to select character sets
for archive comments and list files. It replaces -fcu switch
introduced in RAR 3.60, which was removed from list of supported
switches. Now you need to specify -scuc instead of -fcu to use
Unicode comments. Unlike -fcu, -sc also supports OEM and ANSI
8. New "Save archive copy as..." command in "File" menu. This command
may be useful if you opened an archive from Internet directly in
WinRAR and then decided to save it on local disk.
9. "Word wrap" command added to "View" menu of WinRAR internal viewer,
so you can change the wrapping mode of already opened viewer
window. State of this option is not stored between viewing
sessions. If you need to change the default word wrap mode, use
WinRAR "Settings/Viewer" dialog.
10. Buttons "Up" and "Down" added to "Organize profiles" dialog. Using
these buttons you can change position of selected profile in the
11. Operation progress is displayed when adding the recovery record.
12. If WinRAR is minimized to tray and mouse is over its icon, WinRAR
diplays a message about the current operation progress. In
previous versions it included only percent done, now it also
contains the time left information.
13. Console RAR displays "Calculating the control sum" message when
calculating CRC32 control sum for newly created RAR volume.
Previous versions also calculated the volume control sum, but did
14. Archives history list in "File" menu allows Unicode names,
providing more reliable support for non-English archive names.
15. Stack overflow vulnerability has been corrected in password
processing module of console RAR and UnRAR. GUI WinRAR is not
affected. We are thankful to the iDEFENSE LABS for reporting this
1. Bugs fixed:
a) stack overflow vulnerability has been corrected in WinRAR module
processing 7-Zip archives;
b) WinRAR GZip module could set a wrong file date when unpacking
1. Corrected a bug in multithreaded text compression module, which
under some circumstances might result in corrupt archived data.
This bug was present only in multithreaded mode and only in WinRAR
3.60. RAR versions for other platforms are not affected.
2. Resolved a compatibility issue preventing WinRAR 3.60 to run in
1. Multithreaded version of RAR compression algorithm improves the
compression speed on computers with several CPU, dual core CPU
processors with hyperthreading technology. Multithreading is
enabled by default, but you can disable it in "General" part of
In the command line mode you can control multithreading with
2. WinRAR can display the folder tree panel allowing to navigate in
disk and archive folders. Use "Options/Folder tree" submenu to
enable the folder tree. It can be configured separately in file and
archive management modes.
Folder tree replaces "Browse for folder" command previously
available in "File" menu and uses its Ctrl+T keyboard shortcut.
3. Now WinRAR "Rename" command also works with ZIP archives. Previous
versions could rename files only in RAR archives.
4. Added decompression of LZH archives created with "-lh7-" algorithm.
5. New "Remove duplicate folders from extraction path" option
If this option is on and you unpack an archive which root folder
has no files and only one 'somename' folder and if destination
folder is new or empty and also ends with '/somename', WinRAR will
exclude one 'somename' from resulting 'somename/somename' path.
6. New "Define volume sizes..." button in "Settings/Compression". This
button activates "Define volume sizes" dialog. Here you can
customize the list of predefined volume sizes associated with
"Split to volumes, bytes" field in archiving dialog.
7. Speed of RAR general compression increased for some data types.
Depending on data type and size the gain may achieve 5 - 15%.
8. New "Rename automatically" option in the extraction dialog and
command line -or switch to rename extracted files automatically if
file with the same name already exists. You can also enable the
auto-renaming mode directly from the overwrite confirmation prompt
with "Rename All" button. Renamed files will get names like
'filename(N).txt', where 'filename.txt' is the original file name
and 'N' is a number.
9. "Set modification time" option in "Advanced" part of extraction
dialog is accessible also for ZIP archives. Previously it could be
changed only for RAR archives.
10. "Multithreading" option added to "Benchmark and hardware test"
command, so you can compare performance of usual and multithreaded
versions of RAR compression algorithm.
11. New 'ch' (change archive parameters) command line mode command.
Its purpose is to apply switches like -av, -tl and -cl to archive.
12. New 'cv' command line mode command. It provides the command line
interface to WinRAR "Convert archives" command. It is supported
only by winrar.exe, not by rar.exe.
13. New command line -sl<size> and -sm<size> switches to set size
limits of processing files.
14. New command line -fcu[file] switch allows to read archive comments
from Unicode files. It also modifies behavior of "cw" command,
setting the comment output format to Unicode.
15. 7Z added to list of formats stored without compression when using
-ms switch without a parameter.
16. Switch -e[+]<attr> is now supported by most of command line
operations including extracting and deleting files. Previously it
was supported by only archiving command.
17. It is allowed to use environment variables in archive name in
archiving dialog, in destination path in extraction dialog, in
folder names on "Compression" and "Paths" pages in WinRAR
settings. For example, you can enter '%temp%' in "Folder for
temporary files" field.