From Ben Ritchey@1:2320/100 to All on Wed Oct 19 12:11:36 2016
AARP Fraud Watch
New IRS Scam Coming Through the Mail
SCAM ALERT: We're hearing of a new twist to the IRS imposter scam: it's now coming through the US Postal Service.
How it Works:
* You receive an official-looking letter from the IRS saying you owe taxes related to the Affordable Care Act. The notice is labeled CP2000 for tax year 2015. The letter instructs payment be sent to the "IRS" care of an Austin, Texas post office box.
What You Should Know:
* If the IRS issues a notice under CP2000, it's when income or payment information doesn't match the information reported on your tax return. A legitimate notice will provide a number for you to call and a way to resolve the issue. Also, payments wouldn't be to "IRS" but rather to the U.S. Department of the Treasury.
What You Should Do:
* If you get a notice like this but doubt its integrity, contact the IRS at 1-800-366-4484.a
* This same scam runs through email. If you get an IRS notice by email, delete
... If the shoe fits, get another one just like it.
--- GoldED+/W32-MSVC v1.1.5 via Mystic BBS
# Origin: FIDONet - The Positronium Repository (1:393/68)
* Origin: LiveWire BBS - Synchronet - LiveWireBBS.com (1:2320/100)